Prev: RE: Bio-Forces Next: Re: SV: SV: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs

RE: Bio-Forces

From: Deeply in Love with Dot <jw4@b...>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 10:30:43 +0000
Subject: RE: Bio-Forces

At 09:31 05/11/97 -0000, you wrote:

>Only on a 1G planet, who said gravities the same? I think SF combat
>on other gravity worlds is just as likely.
 Surely a race that can't survive in <1G environments is actually going
have a pretty hard time conquering the universe?

>Also don't get stuck on the limitations terrestial biology - who's to
say
>that
>'out there' there are biological systems we haven't even dreamed of,
which
>support the ability to spit gas plasma 2km.
Whose to say? Basic chemistry is. Something like plasma has a VERY nasty
effect on biosystems at a very low level. I have distinct problems
believing anything can be grown/secreted that can stand having to cope
with
something that hot or that radioactive. Carbon based materials would
simply
dissolve at a molecular level in the heat. If you are talking about
non-carbon based life then I'm not sure the term 'biological' applies
any
more.

I can stand believing there are biosystems that can cope with the
pressure
levels required to hurl things long distances. I can cope with nasty
acid
bullets, viral cell disintegrator bombs, railgun fletchette sprays
(presuming someone can explain how a bioorganism could generate a
practical
alternating magnetic field) but plasma weapons? No way. I can't see how
such a weapon could evolve as an organism if the first generation model
would dissolve into vapour the moment it kicked in.

So, basically, I can see  how an advanced race based around
biotechnology
could make an effective fighting force (and god help you if they got
within
arm reach) but Plasma / Fusion / Fission weapons? Sorry, no can do.

			TTFN
				Jon
'And I love what we are but I hate what I am
 And I wanna be like you but I hate when you're like them'
		   Maria McKee 'What Else you Wanna Know'
BWFC Fans List Home Page -
	    http://www.sar.bolton.ac.uk/bwfclist/home.html

Prev: RE: Bio-Forces Next: Re: SV: SV: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs