Prev: Re: Strategic Thrust Next: DSII: APSW

Re: FT: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 09:30:03
Subject: Re: FT: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs

At 08:52 PM 11/1/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Jon,
>     I see nothing, I know nothing, about 'FTIII".
>
>     Actually I may have to retract that statement, Phil Pournelle
>ran a game two months ago.   That game may have had portions of the
>'FTIII' rules in it.
>     Notable item:
>   A large increase in the size of the major ships.  80 to 160 mass
>   ships abounded.  This I suspect is due to the mass increase
>   required for multiple fire arc beam weapons.   The increase
>   in size of ships coupled with the reduction in firepower
>   resulted in the game having a duration of greater than five (5),
>   count them, five hours.
>
>     But then, maybe he was just trying out something new,
>a personal experiment.   The game was well done, well run,
>just looonger than expected.
>(By the way the Rebellion stomped the Empire.)

	I designed the scenario around the Star Wars universe which has
a lot of
monster ships on the side of the Imperials.  The biggest flaw in the
game
was when the player firing the SMB battery kept dropping sixes (note not
rolling...)  that killed an Imperial Class Star Destroyer.  Add the fact
that the ISD owner did not move... well you get the idea.  This leads me
believe the roll over idea does not work.  This became very apparent
from
another game I ran this last weekend.

Prev: Re: Strategic Thrust Next: DSII: APSW