Prev: Re: New Battlefleet Gothic? (was Re: Full Tilt?) (very much off topic) Next: Re: SV: What is FMA (was Common to-hit system)

SV: SV: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 09:42:04 +0100
Subject: SV: SV: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs

Simon wrote:

> Personally, I find pulse torpedo's more enjoyable to use than scatter
> packs.

But I was discussing PTs vs Submunition Packs. No mention of Kra'Vak
tech
(Scatter Packs) from my side...

> I though Full Thrust was about tactics and using a bit of
> thought rather than I've got more scatter packs than you have so I
win,
> then again I've got the latest White Dwarf and they say......

If both you and your player use tactics and stick to a background
flavour,
you can play it that way. If one of you does a quick analysis of the
design
rules and starts using the loopholes (eg, never using B batteries
instead
of A if you use the original design rules, never using PTs at all, etc)
the
game can devolve all too rapidly into a "cheese slugfest" (ask Mark
Siefert
about that!).

The reason I analysed the design rules was to find at least the majority
of
these loopholes, and try to plug them. I like games where nominally
equal
forces actually are equal in combat power - that's when the combat
skills
of the players (rather than their design skills) gets important; I
_don't_
like games where each fleet consists of massive capitals with level-3
shields and nothing but A batteries... but this is what the FT design
rules
produces for one-off games in the hand of an optimizer.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry