Prev: SV: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs Next: Re: SV: [OFFICIAL!] Attention SG2/DS2 players! Help wanted...

Definition of FMA

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:58:47 +0000
Subject: Definition of FMA

[snip]

>But what is FMA?
>
>thanks in advance
>
>Chris

OK, here goes:

FMA is the name we have given to the basic set of game mechanisms that
form
the core of DSII and SGII (NOT FT, as this uses entirely d6-based
mechanisms).
[Yes, FMA does stand for Full Metal Anorak...]
The core principles of the FMA system are the use of the different die
types (D4-D12), with die type shifts for circumstances rather than
numerical modifiers, and the combination of those dice into opposed
rolls
between the players. The use of the chits in DSII can best be looked at
as
a variant on the FMA core, with the SGII system being more true to the
main
principles.

The FMA system also covers, among other things, the alternate move and
activation sequence (with free choice of unit activation sequence,
rather
than dictated by any "initiative roll"), and the depiction of the
quality
and confidence levels of units with markers.

While none of the individual elements of the game mechanisms are
especially
new or ground-breaking, it is the particular combination of them that
defines the unique character of FMA as a system; as such, when we
developed
SGII we felt that we ought to give a name to the basic rules engine; FMA
seemed as good an idea as any other! Stripped of the SF bits, the core
of
FMA has proved an amazingly versatile game engine (it has been tried, by
us
and others, for SF, Fantasy, Vietnam, WWII, Wild West and many others);
as
such, and allowing for the fact that you can't copyright an actual rules
mechanism, we felt that giving the system a name at least gives us some
kind of moral rights over the "look and feel" (to use the legal term) of
the games!

Since we released DSII and SGII there have been a number of other games
appear on the market that use systems suspiciously close to our own (or
at
least ripping off bits of it), but as I say this is VERY murky legal
waters, and I guess that imitation is the sincerest form of
flattery....?

Jon (GZG)

Prev: SV: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs Next: Re: SV: [OFFICIAL!] Attention SG2/DS2 players! Help wanted...