Prev: Re: SV: The much Awaited Earth Force Source Book Next: FTIII

RE: SG II - Combat Walkers

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 15:21:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: SG II - Combat Walkers

Being a fan of Combat Walkers in DS2, I thought to add my two cents. I
also just (finally) bought SG2,so I'd like to include my favorite
vehicle
in that system as well.

(I'm not sure CWs are really effective in DS2. I just like them, and I
have some very cool minis for them - from Scotia, whom I've given free
plugs for in the past...)

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Deakin, Robert wrote:

> Most of the Heavy Gear walkers have rocket blisters packs. I assume
the
> same rules as PA would apply.
>
> An ECM system on a small walker could also be interesting. Maybe you
> could convert one of my models into a ECM/Prowler style unit run
around
> a disrupt all those commands being handed down.
>
> What about the swords these guys have?
>
> BTW -Owen! What about smoke dispensers????

Swords? Cheese. Smacks of a certain Evil Empire 'game' whose name I
shall
not defile my mouth by uttering...:)

Snip the swords off, guys. Get a flamer or combat shotgun instead.

> >----------

Walkers
> >in SG II. The way they are configured it seems easy to arm them with
> >RFAC/1 or 2, a MLP and perhaps an Anti-Pers Close Defence System.
Armour
> >Class 1 (d12). Size 1.
> >
> >	My real question is how to use them in a close assault
> >situation. I propose that they cause a test for Terror Effects if
they
> >commence a close assault.
> >
> >	For determining odds I propose to leave it at 1:1 ie the Combat
> >Walker counts as a Unit vs the Infantry Squad as a Unit.
> >	If PA have a 2xQuality Dice in the combat then perhaps the
> >Combat Walkers would go for a 4xQuality Dice?
> >	For practicallity I would propose that the Combat Walker would
> >engage only 4 infantry in a round, similarly a squad of infantry
close
> >assaulting a Combat Walker would only have 4 infantry to engage it in
> >one round.
> >
> >That's enough for starters. All contributions gratefully received.

This sounds good. I can see how having a 3m tall thing bearing down on
you
would cause a Terror Effect - I think it would for me...

The 4 inf- 1 Walker sounds ok, but should maybe be flexible...I can see
low-tech forces attempting swarm attacks on Walkers when they can't kill
them at range.

Would SG2 walkers be interface insertable as in DS2? I assume so, given
the rules overlap.

(is it just me or are whole chunks of the SG2 rulebook cut-and-pasted
verbatim from the DS2 book? I just bought SG2 yesterday, but that seems
to be the case...)

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

Prev: Re: SV: The much Awaited Earth Force Source Book Next: FTIII