Prev: SV: SV: Map Sizes Next: Re: Map Sizes

Re: Vector Rules

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 12:57:27 +0200 (EET)
Subject: Re: Vector Rules

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Alexander Williams wrote:

> a) The whole point is that the larger vehicle /requires more thrust to
> turn at the same rate/.  First and foremost.	Secondarily,

Yes, but the requirement increases linearly. I don't think anyone
seriously suggested fixed engine thrust.

> b) You assume a linear increase in engine efficency with engine mass.
If
> the drive is based on conventional technology, this will /definitely/
not
> hold, in fact, efficency will probably fall off fairly sharply with
size

The problem with thrust is that it's simply additive.

Whether you have one 2 MN thruster or 2 1 MN thrusters or even 2000000 1

Newton thrusters, the total thrust is 2 MN.

>From the design standpoint this means that after your ship gets big
enough, you just find the most efficient thruster and mount as many as
you need.

Even today, practically all ships mount multiple engines.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: SV: SV: Map Sizes Next: Re: Map Sizes