Prev: Re: Map Sizes Next: Re: Gen Con 97 Photos on the WWW.

Re: Map Sizes\Metrication

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 03:52:28 GMT
Subject: Re: Map Sizes\Metrication

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997 12:59:21 +0000, Rob Paul
<rpaul@worf.molbiol.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>The Germans wanted metric, the Americans, Imperial.
>
>Bizarrely, they reached a compromise under which those parts of the
tank for
>which the Germans were responsible were to use metric standards, while
the
>American bits were to use Imperial!

ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!! That means two sets of tools to fix the one damned
vehicle! Someone should post this to comp.risks!

This is something to think about in Dirtside II and FT campaign games:
repair times taking longer in mixed nationality forces. That puts a
whole new spin on why--in a recent game--the NAC player never seemed
to make his damage control rolls when he needed to. He had the wrong
tool set!

This is quite interesting, when you consider that the US army adopted
metric distances so that they could use the rest of the world's maps.

> (The MBT-70 and its XM803 spawn also
>had the driver in a contra-rotating subturret inside the turret, and
were
>therefore usually knee-deep in vomit.)

Brings back flashes of that movie _The Last Starfighter_ and the
"Death Blossom." Thanks, I needed that. Your post was the funniest
thing I've read all day (made more so by it being true).

Allan Goodall  -  agoodall@sympatico.ca

"The secret rules of engagement are hard to endorse,
 when the appearance of conflict meets the appearance of force"
		       - The Tragically Hip

Prev: Re: Map Sizes Next: Re: Gen Con 97 Photos on the WWW.