Prev: Re: Vector Rules / Inertial dampers Next: Susan is lazy

Vector Rules are Backround Dependent

From: Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 16:59:42 +0100
Subject: Vector Rules are Backround Dependent

As another not so subtle flame war gently erupts...

IMHO it all depends on your background. If you're doing
Star Trek then rapidly spinning about for a huge ship
makes sense and its even happened on screen when the big
E met the Q in Encounter At Far Point

If you're trying to simulate battle in 21st Century then
you probably want to take mass/inertia into account and
then a lot of the points about physics are true.

B5 is probably the closest to reality there is in
SF TV/films, even though in some of the episodes the ships
seem to be pulling very high G turns for example
"sk** d**cing".

Honor H has inertial damping for acceleration but
they turn like wet navy ships.

Thus take the *current* generic Real Thrust rules and add
modifications for your background where they make sense.

Do we gain anything from a discussion on the validity of
generic rules for each genre? Probably not a lot.

sincerely
tim jones
--
The stars are matter, We're matter, But it doesn't matter.

Prev: Re: Vector Rules / Inertial dampers Next: Susan is lazy