Prev: Re: Vector Rules Next: Re: Vector Rules

Re: Vector Rules

From: "<Mark Andrew Siefert>" <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:40:37 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Vector Rules

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Joachim Heck - SunSoft wrote:

> Imre A. Szabo writes:
> @:) Does the Space Shuttle use its main engines to rotate???
> @:)
> @:) No!  It uses lots of small little manuevering thrusters to do so.
> @:) There is no reason why a billion ton supper-battleship couldn't
> @:) rotate, stop rotating, and then fire its main engines in one turn.

>   That's all true, provided said battleship had enough fuel to spin
> itself up and slow itself down again.

	I had a similar arguement with someone during a FTIII playtest
session.  I had a dickens of a time trying to convince him that the
bigger
the starship, the more mass it would need to dedicate to engines if it
wanted to go at a ceratin speed.  Since this is the "thrust 8
super-dreadnought" crowd, they found the idea of paying 40% of their
mass
for a thrust 8 ship as opposed to just 10% for a thrust 2 ship
appalling.
"Big ships don't need to go slow," I was told.	"That idea is so...
British," said another.

Later,
Mark S.

Prev: Re: Vector Rules Next: Re: Vector Rules