Prev: Re: Sa'vasku Next: Re: Newbie Ship Question

Can't Recommend this Site for GZG fans (was Re: Dirtside Miniatures - take a look at these)

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 23:55:49 GMT
Subject: Can't Recommend this Site for GZG fans (was Re: Dirtside Miniatures - take a look at these)

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997 16:01:21 -0400, "Haun, Gilles, SSG"
<haung@Eustis-EMH10.army.mil> wrote:

>For all you guys out there looking for sci-fi miniatures, I stumbled
>onto
>this site a few months ago.

> Give 'em a look, I think you'd like them.
>
> http://www.halcyon.com/shamrock/doe/PRC1.html

Gil means well with his recommendation of this site, but the owner of
the site raised the ire of GZG fans a month or so back. There were
three or four threads on rec.games.miniatures.misc dealing with
Dirtside II and Stargrunt 2. The owner of the site in question, John
McEwen, jumped in and started flogging his own games, Starguard and
Days of Empire.

Now if the threads were general threads about sci fi games, his
comments would be on topic. However, the SG2 thread was a question
from someone who wanted specific information about SG2. McEwen jumped
in and told the guy he should check out Starguard. Okay, we've seen
that sort of thing before, but on the same day in a DS2 thread he
posted, "HI:  If you are looking for a 1/300 sci fi armor game, check
out Days of Empire at http://www.halcyon.com/shamrock" The person was
NOT looking for a sci fi game, he was looking for a European
distributor for DS2 figures. On a third thread (subject: "Dirtside
II?") he posted this:

>Claes Wedin wrote:
>>
>> Is this a good game?
>> Can i use my epic models in it?
>> Could someone give a rough description of the rules?
>>
>> - Jacob Wedin
>
>HI Jacob;  Before you spend good money on something else, check out
Days
>of Empire Rules on http://www.halcyon.com/shamrock   Days of Empire
Test
>set is free and the game has excelent figure support.	Over 50 vehicles

>already.   thanks JM

Note that at no time did he actually mention in his posts that he is
the owner of the web site and the designer of the game; you had to
visit the site to learn this. These posts all came on the same day,
targeted at DS2 and SG2 threads. There were some angry messages about
this, but he didn't respond.

I personally found his tactics offensive, especially as the threads
were for specific information about GZG products. Everyone else is
welcome to their opinions, but this guy's tactics pissed me off enough
that I'm not buying anything from him. For all the posts, check out
Deja News (at http://www.dejanews.com) and decide for yourself.

Allan Goodall  -  agoodall@sympatico.ca

"The secret rules of engagement are hard to endorse,
 when the appearance of conflict meets the appearance of force"
		       - The Tragically Hip

Prev: Re: Sa'vasku Next: Re: Newbie Ship Question