Prev: Re: Aliens Action Fleet APC Next: Re: Aliens Action Fleet APC

OFF-QUESTION: How big is an Alderson point?

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 15:05:16
Subject: OFF-QUESTION: How big is an Alderson point?

I forwarded the question to Jerry but I can't guarrantee a response:
Here's my take on the subject

>>Phil might be the best one to answer this, but in case it has been
discussed
>>before, I thought I would toss it out publically; while it is
lanbelled
"off-
>>topic", I think the gaming implications for _Full Thrust_ are pretty
darn
>>clear.
>>
>>Just how big is an Alderson point?
>>
>>I'm asking because it has a tremendous impact on how you protect a
system.

>>I don't remember seeing this in the CoDo universe.  IIRC, the only
defenses we
>>really see are mobile, and they consist of 1) the _Defiant_ off New
Chicago,
>>and 2) the Crazy Eddie squadron inside the supergiant.  The latter is
clearly
>>a special case (presumably the outcoimg ships are pretty disoriented
by
>>appearing in a sun), and the former, if memory serves, involved the
captain
>>lamenting that the _MacArthur_ appeared so close.
>
>	If I recall correctly, Alderson Points drift around an area
based on the
interaction of the two generating stars, their current illumination,
gravity waves and other perception distortions based on Relative effect.
Thus while you can place a station out in the area, it won't be in a
stable
orbit.	Additonally, you must have Alderson Survey equipment to keep
track
of the Alderson point as it fluctuates and then a maneuvering drive to
stay
on station.  Even then it does not guarrantee that you will have your
crosshairs on the right place at the right time, plus the Alderson
confusion effect works both ways because if the target doesn't know
where
he is in relation to the universe (and the universe Vice versa), neither
does the aimer...  This is the hazard of introducing instantaneous
travel
into an Einsteinien universe...
	My suggestion is to have a mobile defense.  Remember the
Alderson point is
maintained in reference to the two stars not their systems, therefore
you
will not be in a stable orbit and stations will drift.

Prev: Re: Aliens Action Fleet APC Next: Re: Aliens Action Fleet APC