Prev: Re: Flags Next: Re: Flags

Buck Rogers and FT

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 15:42:14 -0400
Subject: Buck Rogers and FT

campbelr@pop3.kunsan.af.mil writes:
@:)  Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@East.Sun.COM> wrote:

@:) > It's probably hard to find now but you should be able to get it
@:) > cheaply if you do find it.
@:)
@:) Hard to find? I haven't seen a copy since Florida, (over a year
@:) ago) and the shop I saw it in, said "..since it's a (quote)
@:) classic (un-quote) game, and no longer in print. We couldn't part
@:) with it for less than 35 dollers" (Ten more than I paid for my
@:) original, when it was brand new!) So I'm still looking, maybe I'll
@:) get lucky in Utah.

  !  Mine cost me $10 in 1989.	I wasn't even interested much in
gaming at the time, and I only bought it because it was cheap and had
such a neat map.  I got mine at Toys R Us in their clearance section.

@:) I aalwaays considered the "Fighters" in the game to be more like
@:) an Escort ship, (Frigate or Destroyer. Face it, ain't no "one man
@:) fighter" going to cross interplanetary distances by it's
@:) lonesome:)

  I bet there's more info on this in the Buck Rogers RPG, which was
part of the same license as the Battle for the XXVth Century game
we're talking about.  There were some video games as well, which
seemed to assume that the minumum rocketship size was maybe
corvette-like.	It was a rocket with room for something like 20-30
people, IIRC.

@:) and the "Battler" to be a Capital class ship.

  Weren't there three types of ship?  Fighters, Cruisers and Battlers?
Well, I don't know but we used the Battlers to represent capital ships
and had some other way of distinguishing between escorts and
cruisers.  The game is out of my closet at the moment so I can check
when I get home.

@:) Heck if I find a copy, there's a fleet or three in there, once I
@:) paint em.

  There are six (small) fleets if you don't paint them.  One each for
Buck, Wilma, Queen whatever, Doc Huer, The Bad Guy and Black Barney,
space pirate (no he's not a dinosaur).

@:) Joachim: What was the turn time? (A "month" terran, I believe in
@:) the oriiginal, was yours the same?)

  I've been looking for our rules, to refresh my memory and see
whether we ever specified it.  I think we were assuming a month or
so.  It was all deliberately left pretty vague, though.

-joachim

Prev: Re: Flags Next: Re: Flags