Prev: Re: Colony Growth (Was Re: Realistic Fleet sizes) Next: Re: Interplantery backgroud Full Thrust.

Re: Realistic Fleet sizes

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 11:25:44 +0300 (EET DST)
Subject: Re: Realistic Fleet sizes

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Brian Burger wrote:

> It gets worse than that, as the Russians seem to be letting their
fleet
> rust in peace, so only the Yanks have a major fleet...

Actually, I was referring to the British fleet. Russians had a great sub

force, but since WWI their surface fleet has been nothing to write home
about.

> So the regular FT CV design bugs you...change it, and rewrite your
> backgrond to justify it...no problem...unless your new opponent hasn't
> heard of your background...

Well, if I did that, everyone would just design their own carriers.
Actually, they already do, I was just using the vanilla ship as an
example everyone would be familiar with. The problem's the same with any

ship that's almost completely fighter bays.

If I do a rules change, it would have to be a change to the design
rules.
But changes to design rules invalidate prior designs, and are therefore
to be avoided.

Ok, working solutions might include:

Fighter bays only in merchant hulls. Ok, so what about the
superdreddies?
Over X fighter bays only in merchant hulls. Not good because of the
linear
nature of the design system -- people would just split their carriers to
X-bay chunks.
Each fighter bay deducts Y from hull points (structural integrity blah
blah...). Now this could work.

> So does anyone have any figures on the various colonial navies, say
> 1900-1945? Esp. 1900-1918, the era with, AFAIK, the largest number of
> big-fleet powers? I'll check Jane's Fighting Ships later in the week,
or
> Conway's, but if someone could check sooner, that'd be good...

I have the WWI and WWII memorial editions of Jane's. While not
completely
accurate, they give a good enough picture.

> An aside: What's the Jane's equivilent in FT, in 2183? Jane's Fighting
> Starships? Just a thought...

Wouldn't that be the coming Fleet Book?

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Colony Growth (Was Re: Realistic Fleet sizes) Next: Re: Interplantery backgroud Full Thrust.