Prev: Re: Realistic Fleet sizes Next: Re: FTL Sytems-Game Implications...

Re: Realistic Fleet sizes

From: Jonathan Davis <davis@a...>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 10:23:05 -0400
Subject: Re: Realistic Fleet sizes

Joseph A. Troche wrote:

> At 10:06 AM 9/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >>  Divide by ten and we have a 2 Billion
> >>world with a budget of 5,000 pts and a fleet of size 50,000 pts.
> >>
> >>Rounding... 4 Carriers  4,000
> >>		5 SDN	    5,000
> >>	       10 BDN	    8,000
> >>	       16 BB	    8,000
> >>	       40 CA	   10,000
> >>	       40 CE	    8,000
> >>	       40 CL	    8,000
> >>	       80 DD	    8,000
> >>	       60 FF	    5,000
> >>	       40 CT	    3,000
> >>			 ---------
> >>			  ~70,000 Pts.
> >
> >So this is the fleet per world ?
> >
> How would a planet of 2 billion come up with this kind of GNP?  To me
this
> looks more like the budget and Fleet for a coop of planets.

True, it could also pass for a fleet with a subsector responsibilities
of
protecting eight to ten star systems or more.  But given how violent and
bloodly the Full Thrust combat system is, how long could this fleet be
in full combat operations against a similarly determined enemy?  The
numbers are high because fleet losses are sudden and costly.

Also these figures are only considering the FTL component of the fleet
not
the System Defense Forces without FTL drives.

Jon

Prev: Re: Realistic Fleet sizes Next: Re: FTL Sytems-Game Implications...