Prev: Power Armour Design System (Part 1) Next: Address for getting Star Blazers Game

Power Armour Design System (Part 2)

From: "Steve Pugh" <mafb90@p...>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 11:03:33 -0400
Subject: Power Armour Design System (Part 2)

This is a set of examples of PA designed using the system in Part 1.
If you haven't read it, I suggest you do that first.

Examples from SGII rulebook.
These should all turn out to be Heavy PA.

NAC:
D12 armour	      6 pts.
12 movement	      3 pts.
x2 Close assault      2 pts.
36 hours air supply   3 pts.
Medical.	      -
Weapons Mount (MLP)   1 pt.
Total:		     14/15 pts.

NSL:
As NAC except 48 hours life support.
So 15/16 points.

ESU:
D10 armour	      4 pts.
6 movement	      -
x2 Close Assault      2 pts.
12 hours air supply   1 pt.
Medical 	      -
Weapons Mount (MLP)   1 pt.
Weapons Mount + Cargo
(RFAC/1)	      3 pts. (at least)
Extra air supply bolt ons
		      1 pt per 12 hours.
Total:		      7 points for basic suit.
		      At least 10 points for RFAC/1 suit.

Well, I wanted to use 5 points per level for the 'official' setting,
so that menas that Heavy PA is 11 to 15 points. The NAC suit is
perfect. The NSL suit is too good; either it can't have MLPs or the
MLP troops must sacrifice air supply or close assault capability.
The ESU suit is meant to be a poor relation, but it does have the
ability to carry really haevy weapons...

I am thinking of saying that HMG type weapons (stats will be posted
soon) take one cargo space and a weapon mount, whilst class one heavy
weapons take two cargo spaces and a weapon mount, or maybe only 1 cargo
and 2 mounts to account for the greater recoil. Either way the ESU's
RFAC suit will then take 11 or 12 points.

There is no reason why the ESU suit can't be Heavy PA despite the
fact that it takes less than 10 points. Blame it on bad design, or
say that the ESU suit has lots of cargo carrying capacity and is used
to keep non-PA troops equipped with ammo, missile reloads, etc.

Some more examples:

Warhammer 40,000 Space marine PA.
D10 Armour	    4 pts.
6 movement	    -
x1 close assault    -
Filtration	    -
Total:		    4 points.
Hence Light PA. The models look like they could be Medium PA, but
Rhinos etc. do carry identical numbers of marines and imperial guard
so I guess they are light. Unless Space Marine PA has a self
contained air supply that I've forgotten about.

Terminator PA.
D12 Armour	       6 pts.
6 movement	       -
x1 Close Assault       -
Air Supply	       1 min.
Vacuum Proofing        2 pts.
Weapon Mount (Cyclone) 1 pt.
Total:		       9 minimum.
In a 'low tech' setting like Warhammer 40,000 where technology is
bulky, using 4 points per level of the suit is reasonable.
Hence Terminator armour is Heavy PA, as we all knew it should be.

I would count a Power Glove as giving a +1 die shift in close
assault. Ditto for the hammer thingy. If you're feeling generous you
may allow the ubiquitous Power Glove/Power Sword combo a +2 shift.
Just to make it a bit different I'd make the Lightning Claws suit
into a x2 close assault modifier, thus requiring 2 extra points, but
we have them to spare unless we give them over 24 hours life support.

Aliens Power Lifter.
D8 Armour	      2 pts.
(The miminmum allowed in my system.)
8 Movement	      1 pt.
(Estimate.)
x2 Close Assault      2 pts.
(It could go toe to toe with an alien queen.)
x3 Cargo	      6 pts.
(It could carry a lot by design.)
Total:		      11 points.
Heavy PA in a low tecg setting like Aliens.

Normal Space Suit.
D8 Armour	      2 pts.
6 Movement	      -
x1 Close Assault      -
Air Supply	      1 minimum.
Vacuum Proofing       2 pts.
Total:		      5 points minimum.
So except in high tech settings an EVA suit will be medium PA.

(Probably want to add a rocket pack of some sort for another 2 or 3
points and maybe
 some cargo carrying capability, but this can be done and still keep
 it under the Heavy PA boundary.)

	Cheers,
		Steve
--
"Grab reality by the balls and squeeze." - Tempus Thales

Stephen Richard Pugh	 http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/estate/ax16

Prev: Power Armour Design System (Part 1) Next: Address for getting Star Blazers Game