Prev: Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply Next: Re: FTL: ON TOPIC ADDED

Re: FTL: ON TOPIC ADDED

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:41:30 -0400
Subject: Re: FTL: ON TOPIC ADDED

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Chris McCurry wrote:

> >>OK, so how can this possibly be on topic?  Because it could be used
> >>as the basis for a set of FT rules.  Right now there's one way to
> >>travel interstellar distances in Full Thrust.  For a strategic game,
> >>it might be interesting to have multiple methods of travel, to add
> >>variety.  In particular I think it would be cool if aliens did not
use
> >>the same methods to travel FTL that humans do.  So I think if a
> >>general enough set of travel techniques could be assembled, they
might
> >>make an interesting rules addition.
>

> I would have to agree whole heartedly.  In a strategic games different
> methods of space travel could have a very large impact on who gets
where
> first and in what condition ...
>
> There are endless possibilities, I believe that it would have to be
based
> on the flavor your playing though.
>
> because it could get overly complex with so many different methods of
> travel.
>
> my $0.02
>
> CMC

The problem I have with the 'every race has a different FTL method' is
simple: laws of physics are universal. Every races radios and nuclear
devices are going to work the same, so it would follow that the methods
of
FTL travel would follow the same principles. The technology and details
would differ a small amount, but the basic underlying physics would
remain
identical.

Unless you want to start arguing that, say, the Kra'vak radios work on
different principles from, say, NAC radio tech?

Just my thoughts.

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

Prev: Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply Next: Re: FTL: ON TOPIC ADDED