Prev: Re: Faster Than Light Travel Next: Re: Ship/Crew sizes? (FT & B5 - kinda on topic)

Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply

From: "Chris McCurry" <CMCCURR@v...>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 12:01:26 -0400
Subject: Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply

joachim writes:
>>OK, I've thought about it.  The probably that Einstein's theories of
>>relativity are wrong is extremely small.  Likewise, it is incorrect to
>>suggest that Einstein's theories invalidate Newton's theories.
>>Newton's mechanics were not wrong, they were only specific to a
>>particular set of conditions (in particular they only work for
>>relatively slow-moving objects).  Actually Ptolomey wasn't really
>>"wrong" either, although people like to laugh at his epicyclic
>>explanation of planetary movement.  In reality he came up with a
>>Copernicus and Kepler just had fancier math.
>>  These kinds of statements turn up frequently on the various
>>sci.space.* newsgroups and become very aggravating after a while.
>>People compare the light barrier with the sound barrier, they say new
>>science invalidates old science, they think that impossible things
>>must be true just because it would be nice.  But that's just not the
>>way things work.
I am not necessarily saying Einstein is wrong (or not wrong really) I
just
understand that the possibility exist.
I try to follow the thinking that "If you can think it, it can be done"

(a truly positive way of thinking)...

>>How can I put this? Not STRICTLY true. In the same way that Einstein's
>>theory of relativity showed that under certain conditions Newton's
laws
do
>>not hold, so the laws of quantum mechanics show that under certain
>>conditions the laws of relativity do not hold. In essence, the laws of
>>quantum mechanics make a lot of things 'fuzzy'. I have never seen it
used
>>to specifically prove that a 'real universe' particle can exceed C,
but I
>>wouldn't put it beyond it, given quantum mechanics allows some things
be
>>at two places at one time.

These are the things that allow me to remember that:  though we may have
great ideas and be very gifted in thinking, we
are not always right... even if it almost always works and even if every
body believes it.

The Greeks believed in Greek gods, were they right?  it was believed and
almost always worked...

They just didn't know...

I believe:  "WE JUST DON'T KNOW"

Call me a rebel

CMC

Prev: Re: Faster Than Light Travel Next: Re: Ship/Crew sizes? (FT & B5 - kinda on topic)