Prev: Sci-Fic physics was Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Next: Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply

Re: FMA:Stargrunt II:FASA Dr. Who

From: "Steve Pugh" <mafb90@p...>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 12:31:56 -0400
Subject: Re: FMA:Stargrunt II:FASA Dr. Who

And to follow up my own reply, I've just read the following message
in rec.arts.drwho

----

Harlequin Miniatures have an ad showcasing a new range of Who figures
in the September issue of Wargames Illustrated. They seem to be
designing figures by era, with the first releases being from that of
the 2nd Doctor. No size is stated in the ad, but given the pricing
I'd assume they are 25mm or 30mm. The figures illustrated are as
follows:

1) Dr. Who (well that's how *they* name him) - The second Doctor
standing straight with his hands fiddling with his lapels. The
costume accuracy seems okay, and the figure shown has been painted
with a nice grin.

2) Zoe - In the Space Pirates outfit. Rather a strange pose, with
legs widely spread and both arms sort of drifting around aimlessly at
chest height. The paint job gets the boots the wrong colour and makes
a complete mess of her face IMO. Not a great figure.

3) Jamie - In long-sleeved tan jacket (or it may just be a shirt,
but the way it's cast makes it look quite bulky) knee-length kilt and
broad crossbelt. This looks to be an excellent figure, posed to
suggest that Jamie is slightly crouched and considering an attack on
something to his left. I do note that all three of these figures
seem to be exactly the same height as each other, which makes Zoe
stand out a bit oddly.

4) Brig Lethbridge-Stewart - In his standard uniform of sweater and
cap with a belt carrying his holster on the left side. I have'nt
seen the Troughton-era Brigadier, so I don't know if it's accurate
for Invasion, but he certainly looks okay for season 7 onwards. He's
posed with legs apart and hands holding his swagger stick behind his
back (i.e. horizontally across the small of his back). Again he seems
to be exactly the same height as the other three.

5 & 6) Two U.N.I.T. personnell (sic). Both are wearing berets and
smocks and armed with sub-machine guns. One is firing from the hip
while the second is hurling a grenade. They have very individual
faces, and the first could easily be used as Sergeant Benton. This
pair seem a good couple of (scale) inches taller than the previous
figures.

7) Cyberman - I'm no expert on the evolution of the cyber-race, but
this version has the tear-drop eyes, tubing running down the outside
of arms and legs, a chestbox with numerous buttons and readouts and
carries a fairly short shoulderarm with a bell muzzle from which two
rods seem to protude. He's carrying the weapon across his waist
facing left and is stationary. Figures 7-12 are in a new photograph,
so I can't compare sizes with the previous figures.

8) Sea Devil - Hmm. What's he doing here? This is a very well
detailed figure, with excellent definition on the 'string-vest', an
aggressive pose moving forward with his 'flash-light' held up at
shoulder-height and menacing features. The only thing that lets it
doen seems to be the size, with this Sea Devil only coming up to the
shoulder of the cyberman and being the same height as the dalek!

9) Darlek (sic) - It's a dalek. It's got a plunger and gun-stick and
those vertical strips circling the casing under the upper grill.
They've painted it grey with pale blue sensor balls. Maybe someone
else can place which exact era of dalek it represents.

10) Yeti - I really like this one, though a lot of the credit has to
go to the excellent paint job. It's bulky, it's furry and it makes
the cyberman look wimpy in comparison. The beast is stationary facing
straight forward with claws slightly raised. Come to think of it
they couldn't hang straight down anyway thanks to the size of the
yeti tummy.

11) Ice Warrior - Seems a bit on the short side, but the casring has
excellent definition for the carapace and helmet. The figure is
walking (slowly no doubt) forward with pincers at waist level and
appears to have a very cocky grin thanks to the way the helmet slit
has been painted. Quite a lot of character.

12) Cyberman - A second type, and I think based on the Moonbase
cyberman. The trousers definitely stop at ankle height with boots
below. The cestplate is narrower than that of 7), there are no tear
drops on the eyes and the helmet 'wings' are smaller, with no
cylindrical ear-pieces. This guy is unarmed and stood, leaning
slightly to the left.

Prices are: Daleks and Yeti 2.50UKP/$5.00
	All others 2.00UKP/$4.00

UK phone: 0115 942 2289
USA phone: 806 372 1268

-----

I still want an Ice Warrior army. But hey, it's only been a few hours
since my last post, so i'm hardly likely to have changed my mind am
I?

	Steve

 I never answer letters and you don't like my tie."  - The Doctor

Stephen Richard Pugh	 http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/estate/ax16

Prev: Sci-Fic physics was Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Next: Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply