Prev: Re: Faster Than Light Travel Next: Re: Star System Attack

Re: Star System Attack

From: "John D. Hamill" <finnmaccool@e...>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 20:13:46 -0400
Subject: Re: Star System Attack

Chris Klug wrote:

>  If whatever FTL technology you use allows entry into a solar systems
at
> *any* point, then there is no effective way to defend a solar system;
it's
> just too damn big to position any kind of ships to protect against all
the
> potential angles. Delta-V, thrust, etc., all prevent an adequate
coverage of
> the area (unless you have unlimited defensive resources).
>
> An entry (jump) point metaphor allows strategic defense while at the
same
> time logically encouraging *realistic* battles.
>
> Chris Klug
> Black Bear Design
> Strategy and Computer Games
> (732) 866-1881

But, at the same time, there are only so many areas of even a heavily
populated system to defend. So, by keeping your defense clustered in
your primary defensive areas you make the attacker come after you,
shaping the battle in your favor. Also if FTL lets you go anywhere in
the system you can get reinforcements to your primary defensive areas,
from other systems, fairly easily. My big question in all this is what
is the accuracy; timewise; of the FT FTL system. They can be relatively
inaccurate distancewise, and still be compensated for in attack plans,
but if they aren't fairly accurate in the time you spend in H-space, you
could have serious problems coordinating attacks.

Prev: Re: Faster Than Light Travel Next: Re: Star System Attack