Prev: Re: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of Human Next: Lifestyles of OU

Re: Star Trek background (was... something else)

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 19:57:25 -0400
Subject: Re: Star Trek background (was... something else)

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997 ngilsena@indigo.ie wrote:

> ><snip>

> Talking of politics what exactly is the political outlook in the FT
> universe?  Is the ESU dictatorial?  Is the NAC such a wonderful place
> to live?  And what about the NSL and FSE?  Whats it like to be a
> citizen of all these states?	Views?
> _______________________________
> Niall Gilsenan,
> Dublin Institute of Technology,
> Cathal Brugha.St,
> Dublin 1,
> Ireland.

I think of the politics of the states as follows: (when I think of their
politics at all, and not just of their militaries...)

NAC: democratic, capitalist constitutional monarchy, probalby with a
parliament and a House of Lords - all those Admirals are Sir Admiral xxx
or Lord Admiral yyy, right?

FSE: democratic, etc but with strong authoritarian overtones - sort of
Gaullist (as in Charles de Gaul)

NSL: as FSE, but due to German influence...

ESU: some sort of Communist/corprate mix, partly free market and partly
not - sort of what China seems to be evolving into...

OU: republic, etc, with Prez and other trappings, senate and the like.

IC: some sort of dictatorship, probably, or 'managed' democracy? eg
Mexico
presently...

Netherlands: constitutional monarchy as today -- but is Amsterdam still
the place the world goes to get stoned???

Free Cal-Tex: republic, w/ bombastic Prez, etc. last bastion of politics
in the grand old bs-filled 20th cent. US style... :)

IF: Islamic theocracy of some sort, probably, but details???

PAU: What is a 'federal super-state', people? Whatever that is, by the
background, that's what the PAU is...

Anyone I've left out: haven't considered them, or don't consider them
important...just my personal view...

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

Prev: Re: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of Human Next: Lifestyles of OU