Prev: Re: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of Human Space)) Next: Re: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of Human Space))

Re: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of Human Space))

From: "EPICS: Self-Guided Wilderness Tours" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:55:36 -0400
Subject: Re: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of Human Space))

>To continue this completely off-topic discussion....
>
>I just looked it up, there are 6,300 or so F and G type stars in the
>solar neighborhood for every 10^6 pc^3, so it works out there should
>be 6,100 or so in a sphere of 200 ly centered on the earth.  For stars
>that are close to the sun in surface temperature and total luminosity,
>you might want to cut that number down by a factor of 5 or so.  I only
>included main-sequence stars, no Giants.  I got all this from a great
>book that recently went out of print called Galactic Astronomy by
>Milhalas and Binney.  Mark K should at least have a copy available at
>the ST library.

Yeah, there's a copy somewhere up in the library. I have a personal
copy,
too, but it's at home, buried in a ton of other books. Haven't looked at
that in...a while  :-/	 But I'll be digging it up soon enough...  At
the
moment, down here in Ops, the only thing I have available are the Sky
Catalogue 2000.0. and the Burnham's Celestial Handbook series.

Mk
---
If the conquest of a great peak brings moments of exultation and bliss,
which in the monotonous, materialistic existence of modern times nothing
else can approach, it also presents great dangers.  It is not the goal
of
*grand alpinisme* to face peril, but it is one of the tests one must
undergo to deserve the joy of rising for an instant above the state of
crawling grubs.
				       -Lionel Terray, 1965