Prev: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of Human Space)) Next: Re: Hex grids?

StarGrunts II Squad Generation Point system [long]

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:04:25 -0400
Subject: StarGrunts II Squad Generation Point system [long]

Hello,
	A number of folks have asked for me to repost my squad
generation system
that spans Full Thrust, Dirtside II and StarGrunts.
  The point system below is based on DirtSide II and can be translated
Full Thrust at a ratio of 1 Full Thrust point to 60 DirtSide II points.
	It is impossible to correct for all factors in a game or
scenario, so
please be patient.  This is designed to give folks who are trying to
design
a campeign or have a basis for a pick up game to use a quick reference.
	Each of the values below are listed for a single man.  To
generate the
final cost for a squad, you must sum up the cost per man on tables 1
thru
4, multiply it by the number of men in the squad and then multiply that
total by the morale modifiers on chart 5.
	For a Campeign, I recommend that you have all initial troops be
regular
and all purchased during the campeign be green to start.  This requires
that each side have the same number of points devoted to ground and
space
forces...
	These tables should enable you to translate the effects of the
squads to
DirtSide II as well.

Table 1: Armor

Armor Type	SG:Die type	DS: Hits to kill*	Cost per man
Basic		D4		2			0.5
Partial LT	D6		3			1.0
Full LT 	D8		4			2.0
LT Power	D10		5			4.0
HVY Power	D12		6			6.0
	*- These are hits to kill a DSII 5 man team.  For example a
three man HVY
weapon team with Full LT armor 3*4/5=12/5=2.4 or three hits to kill.  A
four man attack squad in HVY power armor $*6/5=24/5 or 5 hits to kill.

Table 2: Movement
Movement	SG		DS			Cost per man
Foot		6 inches	2 inches		0.0
Scout		8 inches	4 inches		1.0
Calvery/Power	12 inches	6 inches		2.0
Motorized	15 inches	8 inches		3.0
Jump Jet	15 inches	8 inches		4.0
Skimmer 	15 inches	8 inches		5.0

Table 3:  Ranged weapons
Weapon		Range	Firepower	Impact		Cost per man
LT Auto Pistol	CC	1		D6		0.0
HVY Auto pistol CC	1		D10		0.25
SMG		CC	3		D8		0.5
Shotgun 	CC	3		D8		1.0
Hunting Rifle		1		D10		0.75
LT Assault Rifle	2		D8		0.75
LT Assault Rifle w/ GL	3		D8		1.0
Advanced Combat Rifle	2		D10		1.0
ACR w/ GL		3		D10		1.5
Gauss Rifle		2		D12		2.0
Gauss Rifle w/ GL	3		D12		2.5

Squad Assault Rifle	D8		D10		4.0
Gatling SAW		D10		D10		5.0
Gauss SAW		D10		D12		6.0
Infantry Plasma 	D6		D12		7.0
Auto Grenade Launcher	D12		D8		4.0
Multiple Launch Pack	D8		D8		6.0
IAVR			D10		D12		1.0 per shot

Table 3(a)
Effect of special infantry weapons on DSII

Weapon/Cost	Range/Damage Chits
		Close		Medium		Long
Infantry Plasma
		2 inches	4 inches	6 inches
Cost: 8 	All		Red		Yellow

Auto GL
		4 inches	6 inches	8 inches
Cost: 3 	1/2 Red&Yellow	Yellow		1/2 Green

MLP
		6 inches	12 inches	18 inches
Cost: 6 	1/2 Red&Yellow	1/2 Red&Yellow	1/2 Red&Yellow

IAVR				4 inches
Cost: 1 per man 		Red&Yellow Draw 2

Table 4:  Close Assault Weapons
Weapon		Close Assault Die Shift 	Cost per man

Pistol/SMG		+1			Pay from table 3
Sword/Axe		+1			0.25
Shotgun 		+2			Pay from table 3
Flamer			+2			0.5
Power Sword/Hull Cutter +3			1.0
Light Saber		+4			2.0

Table 5:  Troop Quality Multiple

Troop Type	Quality Die	DirtSide Multiple  StarGrunt Multiple
Elite		D12			1.5		2.0
Vetran		D10			1.35		1.7
Regular 	D8			1.20		1.4
Green		D6			1.0		1.0
Untrained	D4			0.75		0.6

	The reason for the two multiples is the efeect of the quality
die is far
more severe in SG than in DS.  In SG the QD effects: range for spotting,
range for firing, fire effectiveness, morale, communications, etc.
However in DS the QD is not so extreme.
	Please comment on this.  I have taken a lot of ideas from a
number of
people both on this list and in their web sites and so cannot claim
credit
for all of the work.

Table 6:  Buying leaders
	The following chart shows my cost estimate for buying leaders.
It assumes
that a good platoon leader would be an excellent squad leader but a weak
Company leader.  You can use this chart to buy the billet, in which case
replacements are obtained using the usual chart (and cannot be
promoted!).
However, if leaders are purchased like characters then the replacement
must
be drawn from the organization such as the next lower echelon commander
or
a staff officer.  These character leaders may be promoted using chart 7.

Note:  These costs are updated from my last.  The others were too
expensive.

Leadership	Squad  Platoon	Company  Battalion  Brigade  Corps  Cost
A		3						    10
B		2	3					    20
C		1	2	3				    30
D			1	2	  3			    50
E				1	  2		3	    70
F					  1		2	3   90
G							1	2  110

Table 7:  Promotion
	If you use the character option for a leader, those characters
have an
opportunity to be promoted or demoted based on their preformance during
battle.
	To roll on the chart, the character must have made a morale
check during
the battle.  For an addition modifier, the opposing force must have been
equal to or larger than the force under his command, or the total number
of
units he affected must be equal to or greater than his own.  For an
enemy
of a larger force make the number of additive modifiers equal to the
appropriate number of equivelant units.

Die Roll	Effect
1 or less	Demote
2 thru 5	retain
6 or more	Promote

Die modifiers
-3 If unit under characters command routed.
+1 If unit under characters command lifted suppression at least once
(max +1)
+1 per seperate enemy unit that unit under character's command routed.
+3 per seperate enemy unit that unit under character's command
destroyed.
	Routing and destroying an enemy unit is cumulative +4.

	This same chart can be used to promote or demote the quality of
a unit
(i.e. change from Average to Vetran, etc.).  However, green and
untrained
forces receive a +3 in addition to all other die rolls.  Forces that are
demoted below green are disbanded, take their points and add it to the
pool...

Prev: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of Human Space)) Next: Re: Hex grids?