Prev: Re: Geopolitics in Jon's Universe Next: Was RE: Hibernia Forever

Re: Geopolitics in Jon's Universe

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 08:35:22 -0400
Subject: Re: Geopolitics in Jon's Universe

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Steve Pugh wrote:

> The Stargrunt II background section mentions Scandinavian mercenaries
> in the employ of the NAC in 2170. So I guess that those countries are
> still independent but on good relations with the NAC and NSL.

I don't have SGII yet so I don't know exactly how large these
Scandinavian merc units are, but...

Considering that there were Swedish mercenaries - and that these
mercs definitely weren't sponsored by Sweden - fighting for both Serbs
and Croats in Bosnia, I wouldn't be surprised if there are private merc
units around - not too large, not too well-equipped, but existing and
generally doing well by doing ill. They would probably be referred to,
when referred to at all, by the nationality of their leaders or the
majority of their soldiers.

IIRC, there were/are Scandinavians involved in several current mercenary

companies operating in West Africa and the Indian Ocean today. That
doesn't make the units "Scandinavian", of course, but still.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
 -Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Geopolitics in Jon's Universe Next: Was RE: Hibernia Forever