Prev: Re: Stategic Thrust Next: Re: Stategic Thrust

Re: Supplement publication idea

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 15:56:12 -0400
Subject: Re: Supplement publication idea

  So I've been thinking about this stuff and I have one (new) worry
and one idea/topic for discussion.  Here they are, presented in the
order they were received:

  Worry: design by committee never seems to work.  I work in the
computer industry, where design by committee is usually heralded as a
holy grail but also generally scoffed at as impractical.  The usual
complaints are that the committee design moves so slowly that ideas
have already battled it out as non-standards (and some of them have
become de facto standards) by the time the committee puts out the
"real" standard.  Often the committee standard is out of date by the
time it is finished.  Would a similar situation arise if FT were to be
expanded based on player submissions?

  Idea/thought: the most creative works I've seen produced by list
members are not new weapon designs or even individual rules, but
customizations of FT to fit a particular universe.  FT has been
modified to approximate the Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5,
Battlestar Galactica, and World War II "universes", as well as various
mechaverses and assorted universes of other films, television programs
and books.  Each customization has included ships, rules and systems
specific to that universe.  I think it would be neat to publish some
of these.  I don't know how to deal with copyright issues, duplicate
customizations to the same universe, or possibly other issues.

-joachim

Prev: Re: Stategic Thrust Next: Re: Stategic Thrust