Prev: Re: Free Tex-Cal Next: Re: What I want (really!)

Re: SG - New Israeli's _ Eureka Miniatures

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 02:54:26 -0400
Subject: Re: SG - New Israeli's _ Eureka Miniatures

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Binhan Lin wrote:

> Actually, you should be able to suppress the sound.

Well, up to a point.

>  Just as the crack of
> a regular rifle is due to the bullet breaking the sound barrier,

There are three things making noise in a modern rifle:

1) The action. Usually insignificant, but must be considered if you want
to be really quiet.
2) Supersonic bullet passing through air.
3) Supersonic powder gasses.

You can do something about 1 & 3, but the only thing you can really
do about 2 is to slow the bullet to subsonic speeds -- killing most of
its energy.

When you slap a suppressor on a modern rifle, you do away with the blast

noise (powder gasses), but the flight noise remains. It IS very audible,
it's just hard to locate because the sound source keeps moving.

Still, I like a suppressor on my AR-15 because with it I can shoot
without hearing protection.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Free Tex-Cal Next: Re: What I want (really!)