Prev: FT Ship Designations - OU Next: Re: FT Ship Designations - OU

Re: FT Ship Designations - OU

From: "Evan Powles" <epowles@p...>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 22:20:43 -0400
Subject: Re: FT Ship Designations - OU

----------
> From: ROBERTSON,Brendan <Brendan.ROBERTSON@EMPLOYMENT.GOV.AU>
> To: '[full thrust newsgroup]' <ftgzg-l@bolton.ac.uk>
> Subject: FT Ship Designations - OU

> What do everyone think of _ROUN_ for Oceanic Union ships?
> (Royal Oceanic Union Navy).
> As most of the countries which make it up are members of the
> Commonwealth (pre-NAC) I was thinking this might be suitable.

I'd have assumed that the OU would be a republic, sharing a monarch with
the superpower NAC would compromise national sovereignty rather more
than
sharing a monarch with some minor nation on the other side of the world
with which you have only the most general interests and disagreements in
common. :-)

The existing OU forces have been labelled as "Oceanic Union Defence
Force"
figures, which could imply a unified military service or may just be a
general term like the current "Australian Defence Force". I've also
always
been slightly uncomfortable with the use of the term "Navy" for
spacegoing
forces, preferring "Space Force" as a term more likely to emerge. Or you
could go for a construction (thanks to Dan Simmons) like OUDF:Space for
your spacegoing military.

Starships could be just "OUSS" regardless of the details.

Prev: FT Ship Designations - OU Next: Re: FT Ship Designations - OU