Prev: Re: What I want (really!) Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] assorted comments!

RE: Stargrunt II - WW II

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 23:39:49 -0400
Subject: RE: Stargrunt II - WW II

Well, here we go, I'll get my tail burnt but what the hey......

Is the M1 worth a 1, a 1.5 or a 2? You've got to ask yourself how Jon
based his criteria of the FP factors in teh first place. Is it a
combination of the weapons rate of fire (ROF), calibre of projectile,
weight of ammunition, sights on the weapon and any others you might
think of? Civlian, hunting and bolt action rifles get a FP1 right? Lo
tech assault rifles get a FP2. Personally I think that a FP of 1 is
still appropriate.

My logic is based on the averaging of factors that contribute to the
weapons FP in the rules. This isn't skirmish wargaming and the effect of
the weapons in a group is really what we are trying to simulate. Given
that then...................

The M1 uses a 30-06 cartridge, so less ammunition is likely to be
carried than a lighter calibre rifle. The open sights are average
(please, the Brit .303 SMLE was sighted and capable of firing out to an
excess of 1,000 yards so we are probably going to get lots of arguments
about weapon accuracy). The operation of the weapon is semi automatic,
so you can argue a higher ROF than the Mauser. Although the magasine
only holds 7 rounds(?) so compared to the 303 which holds 10 it would
balance the faster ROF, except perhaps at very close range such as urban
or perhaps jungle.

To add further to muddy the argument compare the firepower of the M1 and
303 to the German assault rifle of '44, this is pretty much what the
AK47 was modelled on. This would undoubtably have a higher FP than the
M1 or 303 or Mauser. But would not warrant a FP of hiogher than 2. So I
really think that it leaves the M1 back at the FP 1.

Owen Glover
IT Services

Prev: Re: What I want (really!) Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] assorted comments!