Prev: RE: [OFFICIAL] Where we're going from here...[SG & DS Supplement Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Where we're going from here...[SG & DS Supplement

Re: Just a thought

From: TEHughes@a...
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 12:05:59 -0400
Subject: Re: Just a thought

<< >I guess my point is, we all have great ideas penned up inside our
 >wargame minds that could very well be the next edition to the above
 >games.  Why can't we come up a legitimate package of
 >rules/supplements that would enhance our games, thus giving back what
 >we are ALL getting out of the hobby.	I myself would love to see some
 >of my house rules for all the games I play, published.  And it isn't
 >until a great rule/scenario is published, does it get the acceptance
 >of everybody.

 >I agree with you, and have been having similar thoughts myself. But
then
> there comes the questions of legal stuff for Jon. And who gets the
royalties,
 >credits, etc, etc, etc. Something I'm definitely not versed in. Now,
mind
you,
 >I'd be all for it, and would help contribute whatever little fiddly
bits I
> have sitting in the mire of my mind, and I'd be fine not getting
royalties
 >from it (a mention in the credits listing would be nice, though  ;-).
But
 >again, I don't know all the intricacies and what this would all entail
for
 >Jon, so...

I do know one situation where a rather famous author uses a lot of ideas
from
his fans to keep a series going and all he does is acknowledge them.
{Piers
Anthony & all those puns in the Xanth series.}
I would think that it wouldn't take much to get a disclaimer from each
idea
maker and go with it, it's not like Jon were a multi-million dollar
sports
team who capitolizes on everything!!! Also it's not hard to see that
most of
our ideas keep coming up again and again with each new author thinking
this
is a really NEW idea [sorry fellas but its true, most of our ideas are
really
a variation on a theme rather than totally original!!]	 Most
importantly, I
wouldn't mind donating a story or something for the chance to see MY
NAME in
the credits [it's about the only way I'll ever get published!!! ]
Besides
once my name is in the credits you'll probably see it's importance grow
like
any good fish story ( now just how did you manage to catch that whale in
Miller's pond Tom?)

Suggestion, post an offer for submissions, say for a fleet book [
catagories
- rules stories, weapons, etc ] and offer the winners publication with
attached names and credit ( but no money!) and see the responce? If they
are
usable then we've done some of the work, if not it will still be a real
fun
exercise ( after playing games, I like talking about games next best!)

Tom Hughes