Prev: Re: Mounting fighters Next: Re: FTIII???

Re: Cammo paintin'

From: Alan Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 16:44:55 -0400
Subject: Re: Cammo paintin'

Tim Jones wrote:

> Does anyone wish to share how they do nice cammo paint jobs
> on 1/300 and 25mm armour. Quick and not so quick techniques
> considered. Choice of colours ,reference sources.

1/300, you have a problem. A good cammo paint job really blurs the
detail. I have a Challenger II from GHQ that's chock full of detail, but
after an expert cammo job, looks like a featureless blob without a
magnifying glass.

One method is as follows:
First undercoat in black. This tones down the colours you're going to
put on. Now give it a thin coat of the base colour (usually some variant
of green). BEFORE THIS IS COMPLETELY DRY then paint the next colour(s)
on top (dark green, brown, black, dark red etc). This will cause the
edges to become diffuse. Now give it a thin wash of the original colour,
mixed with mud brown, to give it a "dirty" look.
The result is an exact replica of how the original looks. But, as I
said, the whole point about cammo is to break up outlines and conceal
easily recognisable detail.

Examples of vehicles that have been camauflaged can be found by
following the path http://www.adfa.oz.au/ which has links to the
Australian Army web site, also US, UK, Canadian, French etc sites, where
you'll find a lot more. Oz army cammo is somewhat unique and atypical.

Now, if you're just interested in Imperial Guard/SM, the Epic (NOT E40K)
sourcepack "Armies of the Imperium" has, in the middle of it, a list of
Chapter Approved colours and cammo patterns for Imp Gd minis, along with
colour plates and examples.

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: Mounting fighters Next: Re: FTIII???