Prev: Re: GZG catalog Next: Re: GenCon: Yet another review

Re: GZG Online Catalogue

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 21:29:02 -0400
Subject: Re: GZG Online Catalogue

At 09:40 AM 8/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm not sure how to go
>about doing that yet, however,  I'm sure people living outside of the
UK
>can claim VAT expemption.

When my wife and I were over in Scotland in 1992, we found that you
could
apply for it at Customs at the airport. The larger stores will fill in a
VAT
exemption form for you if you buy stuff worth 50 pounds or more. These
forms
can be dropped in a mailbox and the refund will be sent to you.

Note that the same procedure is available for the Canadian GST (Goods
and
Services Tax, essentially a VAT) and possible the provincial sales taxes
(PST). You can get the forms from Canada Customs at airports or any
border
crossings. Bear this in mind when you buy something in Canada. (By the
way,
you'd be surprised what's a real bargain up here. Computer equipment is
cheaper in Toronto and Vancouver than most US cities, and videos are
cheaper
than Canada than the US or Europe.)

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: GZG catalog Next: Re: GenCon: Yet another review