Prev: Re:Hammer's Slammer's Next: Re: Will GZG be at Euro Gencon?

Re: GZG Online Catalogue

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 17:48:11 -0400
Subject: Re: GZG Online Catalogue

>At 08:40 AM 8/21/97 +0200, you wrote:
>>On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Paul Owen wrote:
>>> *** URGENT ***
>>> GZG have just upped their prices due to VAT these new prices are in
>>> affect NOW and can be found at the web site.
>>Hm. Isn't VAT the tax you don't pay (or re-claim in the customs once
>>you leave the country) if you're a foreigner?
>>Should we non-UK residents pay the VAT? ...or is that non-EU
>>residents only? I have to pay the Swedish equivalent of the VAT on
>>all official orders from the US, but not from the UK...
>Quite so. Any order from outside the UK should be exempt from UK VAT.
It's
>up to your local customs (or equivalent) to impose any relevant sales
tax
>upon you, not GZG. It shouldn't matter what country the good come from
>though, so I think you've been getting away with it.
>
>Having said that, I wasn't aware of any increase in VAT on gaming
products
>recently. Unless GZG catalogue prices were exVAT previously, this seems
>odd. Perhaps you could give us some details Jon?

Yes, up till now all GZG prices have been ex-VAT, because our turnover
was
under the threshold at which we had to become a VAT-registered business
-
hence we have not had to charge it. With the increase in turnover in the
last year (largely due to taking over CMD) we have hit the threshold,
which
means we have to register by law, and thus have to charge VAT on all
items
(except books). It isn't through choice, because all WE get out of it is
huge amount of extra hassle, paperwork and red tape!!

I need to confirm the exact position re: overseas orders with my
accountant, as the VAT rules are horribly complex and it can be very
costly
(to us) to get it wrong. I'll post more info when I have it.

Jon (GZG)