Prev: Re: Wet Thrust/Full Steam Playtest Next: Automated SSD's has moved to ftgzg-computer@wraith.cs.colroado.edu

Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!]

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 03:25:13 -0400
Subject: Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!]

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Christopher Weuve wrote:

> IIRC, Don Slade's clamshell armor (or, more correctly, Danny
Pritchard's
> clamshell armor, worn by Don Slade at the time <grin>) stops a 1 cm
powergun
> shot at point-blank range in _Cross the Stars_.

Hmmm... I guess I must have missed that one. It's been some time since I

read the books.

> lists in as many months), but my favorite HS scene is in one of the
later
> books, when the tanks take out the orbitting spy satellites as they
come above
> the horizon...

I think they do that in Rolling Hot. But even small caliber powerguns
have theoretical LOS range -- though for game purposes it's quite
acceptable to assign a max range for small arms.

How useful LOS range is, is another thing. It depends very much on
terrain. We chuckled at the Gulf reports of 4+ km hits on Iraqi tanks --

in Finland, you're hard pressed to find 1km unobstructed LOS in rural
terrain.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly