Prev: Re: Oceanic Union Page Updated. Next: Re: Eldar in DSII

Re: [OFFICIAL] Salvo Missiles etc.

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@w...>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 11:24:25 -0400
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] Salvo Missiles etc.

On Aug 11, 1997 at 6:13:04 PM, Peter Ramos <pramos1@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

> One of the most annoying aspects of GW is that they seem to blame the
> gamers for finding and exploiting their rules, boasting our lack of
> proper "attitude" so as to deflect opinion away from their lack of
> vision.

Caveat: I haven't played much GW stuff lately, and while I played Epic
2e, it
was before _Titan Legions_ and all the other supplements had come out.
(Incidently, I think the first edition plus the _Codex Titanicus_ mods
was
most of the way towards doing it right, and they lost the way after
that.)

To some degree this is an "American board wargame" vs. "English
miniatures"
tradition discrepancy.	In my experience (both from reading about it and
with
the English wargamers I have met), the English don't understand the
American
necessity to plug every hole, when simple common sense will suffice.

I think this also applies to other areas.  I heard a story about an
American
attending school in Britain, who was introduced to rugby.  At one point
the
Amercian simply threw a pass downfield, American-football style.  This
caused
quite a consternation among the other players.	He was told that while
such a
move was not technically illegal, it is just simply "not done".

I think the problem with GW isn't that they don't get it right at first,
but
that they screw it up as  they keep adding rules to cover new figures.
The
new rules are necessary because GW isn't a game company, they are a
miniatures
company, and to get people to buy the new figures, the new figures need
to be
more powerful -- or at least different -- from what is already out
there.	As
a result, a ruleset that worked fine when the game comes out has some
many new
parts bolted on to it that it begins to look like Frankenstein's
monster.  The
same thing happened, I am told, with 40k -- when Rogue Trader came out,
the
Adeptus Astartes kicked ass, but by tyhe time the 40k box set came out,
they
were average at best.

--Chris Weuve		[My opinion, not my employers.]
mailto:caw@ascend.com (wk/day)		mailto:caw@wizard.net (h)
----
STOP THE HATE: End lactose intolerance!

Prev: Re: Oceanic Union Page Updated. Next: Re: Eldar in DSII