Prev: Re: Scratchbuilt Fleets Next: RE: Berets and other head varients.

Re: Dirtside Lite redux

From: "Joseph A. Noll" <u1b03926@m...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 20:56:40 -0400
Subject: Re: Dirtside Lite redux

----------
> From: David Brewer <david@westmore.demon.co.uk>
> To: FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> Subject: Dirtside Lite redux
> Date: Tuesday, August 12, 1997 5:10 PM
>

> I've said it before, but since we have Tuffers following the
> discusions, I'll say it again. I think it would profit GZG to
> write a stripped-down version of DS2 and hand it around gratis
> on the 'net. The lite version should be written on the assumption
> that the players will be using existing GW Epic models, so, eg.
> there's no need to include vehicle design rules, just a table of
> Epic vehicles and their stats and be in general somewhat
> abbreviated.
>
> If people enjoyed the game, it would seem like a natural
> progression to buy a proper copy.

This is a great Idea, but isn't that infringing on GW's copyright.  I
don't
think that they would be too happy about a competing game system writing
rules for their models.  They may think that this would have some impact
on
the sales of E40K.  I personally would like to see the whole GW empire
go
down in flames, but I don't want to see GZG get in trouble for doing
something like what you propose.

Now if a fan did this, in a professional manner, and put it out there
might
not be as much of a response from GW.

> Oh, pshaw. A Landraider is about the size of three 6mm double-
> deck buses welded side-by-side, with two size 1's on each side
> and two APSW on top. Surely you can fit a *few* stands of
> infantry into what must be a size 5 vehicle...?

I to have done some Epic conversions to DSII and I took the previous
tact
and made the landraider a big, slow AFV with no troop carring ability.
think I gave it 2 linked HEL-4, APWS, and reactive armor.
>  --
Joe.
Microbiologist by training....Wargamer by choice...Anime lover by
addiction.

Prev: Re: Scratchbuilt Fleets Next: RE: Berets and other head varients.