Prev: Cleaning Paint & Epoxy Off Miniatures Next: Scratchbuilt Fleets

Starship Bases, A Heretic Speaks

From: "Michael Blair" <amfortas@h...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 05:52:03 -0400
Subject: Starship Bases, A Heretic Speaks

Bases
I use the standard flying bases (1" AF) but with a few modifications. I
cut 1" sections of 5/32" brass tubing (a small cheap tube cutter is the
best way, it leaves a smooth end and is MUCH easier to use than a saw)
and epoxy these into the standard hex base. These are then spray painted

black and firing arcs and other details added to taste.
	I glue a piece of piano wire into the hole in the base of the
miniature, this makes them easy to hold and store - a piece of wood with

holes drilled in it. They will turn easily on the stand but the firing
arcs etc. are marked on the stand. For the bigger miniatures I intend to

glue the base onto a larger hex cut from platicard or mounting board.
	If necessary the original hole can be filled with epoxy putty
(Milliput
by choice). This is also useful fixing 'accidents', more than once I
have drilled all the way through a miniature.
	The hardest part is cutting the piano wire, I have to use bolt
cutters
which leaves both ends of the 'stalk' in a  rather dangerous condition
but I use a miniature drill with a grinding wheel to flatten and smooth
one end of each, the other (sharp) end is the one that goes into the
miniature. The best way to hold the wires for this is in a pin vice
which is in turn held in a bench vice.
	A useful tip from a modelling magazine is to take a piece of a
connector strip (for electricians) and strip of the plastic to reveal
the brass. This is attached  to a piece of dowel with a nail in one end
for the connector to grip, the other end of the connector can hold the
miniatures 'stalk'.
	A variation (suggested by re-reading GDW's old 1889 rules) is to
cut
varying lengths of brass for different altitudes (Very Low 1/4",  Low
1/2" and so on). However the taller bases would require larger bases to
prevent 'accidental conversions' (The one good line from the film
Millennium).
	The end result roughly doubles the cost of the base (10p to 20p)
but is
much more secure and has the dubious advantage of making your fleet and
bases incompatible with anyone else's.

Prev: Cleaning Paint & Epoxy Off Miniatures Next: Scratchbuilt Fleets