Prev: Re: Metal minis vs. Plastic Next: RE: Metal minis vs. Plastic

RE: Modified Hit/Damage System

From: "Earl R. Forsythe II" <combatwombat@c...>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 23:03:28 -0400
Subject: RE: Modified Hit/Damage System

Message text written by Tim.Jones@Smallworld.co.uk
>Why is not expending thrust a good thing? Surely if the ship expended
no
thrust
>its velocity and flight path are easier to predict and so its easier to
hit
>so should get a +1 modifier?

>What are the modifiers trying	to simluate? I don't think its
deflection
>as it only applies to the afct arc, but why does being in the aft arc
and
the
>ship having thrusted give you an advantage?

Whoops.  Sorry bout that.  The modifiers work under the following set of
assumptions:

1) Lighting off the main engines makes the ship easier to detect.  If
you
have
no drive emissions in a given turn, it's harder to find you, and thus
harder to
hit you.

2) The main engines exhaust is to the rear of the ship, so if you find
yourself
behind someone who is using their main engine, finding them is much
eaiser
as they are ejecting gouts of superheated plasma or some such.

Now, if your drives are reactionless force fields of some sort (like HH
impeller
 wedges) then the modifier for aft arcs clearly doesn't make a bit of
sense.

Does this clear things up a bit?

Ray

Prev: Re: Metal minis vs. Plastic Next: RE: Metal minis vs. Plastic