Prev: Re: damn super dreadnoughts Next: Re: Hello?

Modified Hit/Damage System

From: "Earl R. Forsythe II" <combatwombat@c...>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 15:31:51 -0400
Subject: Modified Hit/Damage System

A modified hit resolution system for Full Thrust
I'm planning on using the Full Thrust weapon, damage and design system
for
space combat in a sci-fi RPG game I'm running. While working up cheat
sheets for the players, I decided I wanted to borrow the additional
to-hit
modifiers fortarget thrust from Battle Rider.  The trouble is, a -1 or
+1
modifier is rather a big deal on a d6 based system.  But it's not quite
such a big deal for a d12, and this set me to thinking.

Here's the reuslt:
Number of dice rolled by a given beam battery remains the same.
D12 are used instead of D6s.
The following damage chart is used.

 1-6   = 0 damage
 7-10 = 1 damage
11-12 = 2 damage

Modifiers for Target's Screens:
If the target has screens, the number of active screens is subtracted
from
each die roll.

(Optional)Modifiers for Target's Thrust:
-1 to each die if the target has expended no thrust points that turn
+0 to each die if the target has expended any thrust points that turn
+1 to each die if the target has expended any thrust points that turn
and
the firer finds himself in the target's aft arc.

Now, you are probably wondering how this compares to the old system:

Old System:
0 Screens: 50.0% chance of 0 damage, 33.3% chance of 1 damage, 16.6%
chance
of 2 damage
1 Screen:  66.6% chance of 0 damage, 16.6% chance of 1 damage, 16.6%
chance
of 2 damage
2 Screens: 66.6% chance of 0 damage, 33.3% chance of 1 damage, 0% chance
of
2 damage
3 Screens: 83.3% chance of 0 damage, 16.6% chance of 1 damage, 0% chance
of
2 damage

New System
0 Screens: 50.0% chance of 0 damage, 33.3% chance of 1 damage, 16.6%
chance
of 2 damage
1 Screen:  58.3% chance of 0 damage, 33.3% chance of 1 damage, 8.3%
chance
of 2 damage
2 Screens: 66.6% chance of 0 damage, 33.3% chance of 1 damage, 0% chance
of
2 damage
3 Screens: 75.0% chance of 0 damage, 25.0% chance of 1 damage, 0% chance
of
2 damage
4 Screens: 83.3% chance of 0 damage, 16.6% chance of 1 damage, 0% chance
of
2 damage

Not too bad a fit.  The four screens line is added to show the affect of
3
screens and a -1 to hit from expending no thrust points that turn.  If
you
don't use the target thrust modifiers then you might want to consider
allowing  ships to buy up to 4 screen systems.

Comments?

Ray

Prev: Re: damn super dreadnoughts Next: Re: Hello?