Prev: Re: Ship's Python Next: RE: Starship Troopers & Armour

Re:B5 Physics (was Re: OFF-TOPIC mini review B5 Wars (Designers Comments))

From: Michael Llaneza <mllaneza@s...>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 22:07:37 -0400
Subject: Re:B5 Physics (was Re: OFF-TOPIC mini review B5 Wars (Designers Comments))

At 7:01 PM -0400 7/30/97, Allan Goodall wrote:
>At 09:08 PM 7/29/97 -0700, you wrote:
>
>>The Really interesting bit is the phenomenon of Precession. Changing
the
>>direction of things that are rotating is very difficult. They do odd,
>>counter-intuitive things. Try some experiments at home, and you'll see
>>what I mean.
>
>Geez, you're right. God, has it really been about 12 years since I
studied
>physics? The same reason a gyroscope doesn't fall off the piece of
>string is
>going to make an Omega class ship awful difficult to steer. Better
>shut down
>the rotating section before combat or there will be hell to pay. Of
>course,
>the show completely ignores this...

A very excellent (if a bit dark and depressing) series of books is
Stephen R. Donaldson's "The Real Story." In all of the space combat
sequences the rotation of the ships plays a prominent role. Some of the
ships have seperate rotating sections for the bridge. The effects on
personnel of evasive actions is played up, several characters risk
their life moving around a ship in combat situations. Damage control
during evasive maneuvers also happens. They give medals for that sort
of thing.

The longest space combat sequence is at the end of book four: "the Gap
into Madness."

I will point out that the series begins with a beautiful young police
woman being captured by pirates. She goes through hell. Donaldson
doesn't pull any punches. Ever.

The series does come to a satisfactory conclusion. Many people won't
have the stomach to get through book one.

Enjoy at own risk.

Michael Carter Llaneza	  http://www.hypnotic.com/
Devolution is very real to me.

Prev: Re: Ship's Python Next: RE: Starship Troopers & Armour