Prev: Re: B5 Physics (was Re: OFF-TOPIC mini review B5 Wars (Designers Next: Re: Ship Prefix's

Re: Ship Prefix's

From: Jerry Han <jerry@u...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 15:51:34 -0400
Subject: Re: Ship Prefix's

Joachim Heck - SunSoft wrote:
> @:)  I have just been informed (a.k.a.  I bugged one of my native
> @:) German speeking co-workers) that "schwebepanzer" would be the
> @:) correct term as "schwebepanzerkampfwagen" contained a bit more
> @:) information than needed.
>
>   From my (limited but still it was my first language) knowledge of
> German, I would guess that the term "Panzerkampfwagen" is used only by
> American devotees of German military history.

Oh, the Wermacht did use Paznerkampfwagen (PKW) as a prefix designator
for many of its tanks, which was shortened to Panzer.  The US Army,
however,
adopted the nickname of Tiger for all of the Wermacht's tanks.	(A
little
inside humour there, sorry.  (8-)

Source: "Atchung! Pazner", Gen. Heinz Guderian

I also remember coming across it in those little $20 CDN books that
describe
military hardware for Wargamers and Modelers.  (God knows why they're so

bloody expensive though.  (8-) )

J.

--
     Jerry Han - jhan@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca - I disclaim
everything

Prev: Re: B5 Physics (was Re: OFF-TOPIC mini review B5 Wars (Designers Next: Re: Ship Prefix's