Prev: Re: B5 Wars miniatures Next: Valiant Stardate:3000 (was Re: Minis Update)

Sentient versus Sapient (hopefully my last word on AI)

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 23:02:17 -0400
Subject: Sentient versus Sapient (hopefully my last word on AI)

I've been busy this last week, so I'm just getting to some of this older
mail. In the meantime, the AI discussion seems to have wound down.
There's
some good stuff in there, but it has moved away from FT to a large
degree.
This is the only outstanding issue from my original comments. I'll shut
up
after this.

At 10:30 PM 7/21/97 +0100, Sam wrote:
>Checked three dictionaries, and all they say is sentience
>is capable of feeling and perception, sapience means wise.
>My gut feeling though is that you're right.

sentient (adj.) 1. having the power of sense perception or sensation;
conscious.

sapient (adj.) wise or sagacious.
sagacious (adj.) 1. having or showing sagacity; wise.
sagacity (n.) foresight, discernment, or keen perception; the ability to
make good judgements.

By the above definitions, most higher life forms, including dogs, cats,
primates, etc. are sentient, while something like an earthworm probably
wouldn't be sentient. These animals have feelings and perception. They
are
conscious. You probably wouldn't want one controlling your starship,
though.

On the other hand, sapient means--essentially--that the creature is
capable
of higher thought. It is capable of foresight, and the ability to make
judgements. We're sapient; my dog is sentient.

Otherwise, good comments from Sam. Can't fault any of them.

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: B5 Wars miniatures Next: Valiant Stardate:3000 (was Re: Minis Update)