Prev: Re: Convention FT Demo games (was: RE: Mini Figs Tip; Number Two.....) Next: Re: mini review B5 Wars - Reply

Convention FT Demo games (was: RE: Mini Figs Tip; Number Two.....)

From: "Magic 8-Ball this, Magic 8-Ball that .. answer your own damn questions!" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 15:56:24 -0400
Subject: Convention FT Demo games (was: RE: Mini Figs Tip; Number Two.....)

>>Hmmm, maybe we can have a "tip of the week" symposium here....  Hadn't

>>thought of the clear bases idea; you know, paint the tic marks on the
bottom
>>and whatnot....
>
>We need to keep some of these items in the FAQ or at least in a
separate
>file as they are common questions for this hobby.  Suggestions for
running
>convention games and sources for minis also are quite popular.

Someone at Origins ran a fairly simplistic demo game that intro'd all
the
ship classes (skipped fighters) that 4 people who, having little or not
experience with FT, could competently run. I jumped in on one game when
they were shy a player (allowed me to just *play* for once, too! ;-).

Each side got:
 3x standard destroyers
 1x standard light cruiser
 1x standard 'superheavy' cruiser (from pg 31)
 1x standard battlecruiser
 1x standard battleship
 1x standard superdreadnought

Since no fighters were being used, PDAFs were 'free' internal hits. No
pulse
torps to complicate things (ie, things *I* can't seem to hit the broad
side of
a barn with! $ ). Seemed to me to be a good intro demo scenario (the GM
used
NSL and ESU ships primarily, and used their backgrounds for
identification
purposes).

At least one guy decided FT was the best thing since sliced bread and
bought
the game. For some reason he loved bringing his superdreadnought in to
point-blank range and rolling 15+ dice...

For a basic demo game, I think this worked pretty well.

Mk

$ - anyone else have this problem, too??

-
Life is an ever swirling, sucking, eddy of dispair, which is filled with
moments of false hope in an ever blackening universe

Prev: Re: Convention FT Demo games (was: RE: Mini Figs Tip; Number Two.....) Next: Re: mini review B5 Wars - Reply