Prev: Re: Temporary Mail Disruption Next: Re: DSII: VTOL Damage, Arty Direct Fire, Terrain's affect on GMS

Re: DSII: VTOL Damage, Arty Direct Fire, Terrain's affect on GMS

From: Bradford Holden <holden@o...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:22:25 -0400
Subject: Re: DSII: VTOL Damage, Arty Direct Fire, Terrain's affect on GMS

<snip><snip>

   > 2) Does have anyone practical experience with modern artillery?

   Sorry, none here.

I will attempt to answer the original question, which was whether or
not modern artillery uses direct fire.	According to GDW's Assault
series, Former Soviet Onion self-propelled artillery explicitly
trained to be used in the direct fire role on occassion.  They were
also listed as carrying HEAT rounds.  This is partly an outgrowth of
the FSU's WW2 experience and partly an outgrowth of the doctrine of
the FSU forces (self-reliance, sending artillery foward so that an
advance is not held up by a unit being slow, blah blah blah.)

Perversely I know nothing about the US doctrine on direct-fire
artillery but it would not surprise me if the US artillery branch
assumed they would never actually have to worry about seeing the
enemy. ;)

cheers
brad

Prev: Re: Temporary Mail Disruption Next: Re: DSII: VTOL Damage, Arty Direct Fire, Terrain's affect on GMS