Prev: Re: B5 Omega Class Destroyer stats (oops) Next: Re: Offer than off, was Re: even more off topic, Kryomek

Re: B5 Omega Class Destroyer stats

From: "Magic 8-Ball this, Magic 8-Ball that .. answer your own damn questions!" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 08:44:10 -0400
Subject: Re: B5 Omega Class Destroyer stats

>Went and looked at B5 Wars at local game store (not for sale, only a
demo).
>wrote down the weapons on the Omega class which I take to be
'semi-official'
>(I've learned that unless you hear it straight out of JMS's mouth,
don't
>believe it.). Here are the weapons and some comments on each in order
of
>power, most to least.

If you're patient, the Earthforce Sourcebook should be (operative
phrase,
'should be') out right after GenCon. I had an opportunity to check out
the ship sheets they had at the Chameleon Eclectic booth, and was
pleasantly
surprised to see how close my rendition of the Omegas are to Jon's.  :-)
Not exact, no, but close. Close enough.  ;-)   I don't know what i can
and
cannot talk about what I saw, so I'll err on the side of caution and not
say very much.

If you are thinking about converting the B5W game to FT stats, you might
want to not try and convert each and every weapon; you'll have no room
left! You'll want to do a representative substitution prolly, not a 1:1.

Oh, also, the AOG guys do have it pretty straight. They do consult with
George Johnsen and JMS about stuff. There are still mistakes, there are
still discrepencies, but all in all the ship info is pretty accurate.
I cannot speak for the ship info from the role-playing game, other than
there are differences in some minor items between the two systems (eg,
class names of ships, for example).

>Heavy Laser Cannon
>  These are the big beam weapons. 2 are mounted fore and 2 aft. The
game says
>they may onyle fire through the hex row directly ahead and behing the
ship,
>plus the hex row on either side. These are only offensive weapons. The
rules
>give them the ability to do a sustained fire. Not quite sure what this
is,
>didn't get into the rules that far.

Is verra nasty.  ;-)   Basically after you hit a target (assuming
nothing
much has changed from the earlier draft versions of this) you don't have
reroll to lock-on next round/turn.

>Comments in the background area say 'Flying an EA ship is like stearing
>cast iron tub full of water.'	Not very manueverable are they?  But
carry a

Use the real vector movement system with 2 thrust to simulate this.  ;-)

>Well, that's it. BTW just finished watching 'Face of the Enemy', the
episode
>with the ...

[ deleted due to spoilerization ]

Not to be a fly in the ointment, but our counterparts across the pond
and
elsewhere in the world haven't seen this yet; you might want to announce
in the future when you're about to throw in spoilers and

> ...but there was a third
>big ship with the front end of an Omega, a lattice-work structure, but
no
>rotating section. Does anyone know what this ship is?

I'll have to go back and check, but I *think* that was the 'gunship'
(stats
if not already in the B5W game will be in the supplement; I still
haven't
had a lot of time to plow through my copy of B5W yet). Predecessor to
the
Omegas, iifc.

Mk
-
"Yyyes ! Haha!! Tremble before the twin-headed, four-legged eleven foot
tall Engine of Justice that *is* Manuever 14B!"

Prev: Re: B5 Omega Class Destroyer stats (oops) Next: Re: Offer than off, was Re: even more off topic, Kryomek