Prev: Babylon 5 Wars - Gotcha! Next: Re: Counters wanted

Re: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@b...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 12:15:18 -0400
Subject: Re: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll

> 1) Do you REALLY care about the FT background? Are you really
interested in
> what happens to the ESU, NAC, etc. or is it just an excuse for a
battle and
> nothing more?
 I like the background as a starting point.  It is nice to have a common

 background available (but not crammed down our throats) that we all
have a
 chance to know. GZG's willingness to allow other backgrounds is great
but
 when meeting new players who just got the rules and at conventions the
GZG
 background is common knowledge

> 2) Did you read the FT background stuff or did you ignore it?
 I read it, let it sit, then when I got DSII, read it again.  Game rules

 have to include a few scenarios and I enjoy the scenarios more when
they
 have some background instead of being ships in the middle of nowhere
for
 no reason other than to blast each other.

> 3) Do you use another background for your games (like Star Trek, Star
> Wars, B5, homegrown)?
 Starfleet Wars and others depending on my mood.  With all the new rules

 coming out soon (B5 Wars, Earthforce Sourcebook, Star Blazers Fleet
 Battles, Imperial Squadrons, etc), this may change ;-)

> 4) Would you like to see the FT background enhanced, with a more
> detailed timeline, in future supplements? If so, how many pages out of
> typical sized rulebook would you be willing to give up to the
> background?
 I like the current mix of background to rules, some pages at the end of

 the rule books but mostly rules.  I will get the Fleet Book when it
shows
 up because I think the GZG background is interesting enough to develop
 further and I want to see the design philosophies behind each fleet

> 5) Would you like to see some FT fiction?
 Yes, though the first installment must be high quality for me to get
any
 more

> 6) How "accurate" a background do you want? "I want a hard science
> background taking into effect things like AI development, genetic
> engineering, relativity, etc." or ""Star Wars was accurate enough for
> me."
 Fun first, but with enough reality fit in to make it plausible

> 7) Regardless of number 6, do you want to see guys in fighters,
escorts
> and fleet ships? "Don't bother too much about AI, it's men versus men
or
> men versus bugs that interest me."
 With the current scale of FT, I don't think it matters.  Once a
campaign
 system is out there, then it could become a factor.  Fighter kills are
 only mission kills and after the battle, shuttles would comb the area
 after the battle.  Something like the following would be used: for each

 fighter lost roll a d6, Manned fighters; 1-2, pilot killed-ftr
destroyed,
 3 pilot killed-ftr repairable, 4, pilot recovered but injured misses
next
 battle-ftr repairable, 5 pilot recovered healthy-ftr destroyed, 6 pilot

 recovered healthy-ftr repairable.  AI fighters; 1-4 fighter destroyed,
5-6
 fighter repairable.

> 8) "Stop with the stupid science posts, already! This is just a game!"
 I enjoy them to a point.  The AI thread went too far for me and I
delete
 most of them now.

 Dean Gundberg
 dean.gundberg@bcbsnd.com

Prev: Babylon 5 Wars - Gotcha! Next: Re: Counters wanted