Prev: Re: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll (was Re: AIs and such...) Next: Re: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll (was Re: AIs and such...)

Re: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll (was Re: AIs and such...)

From: kx.henderson@q... (Kelvin)
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 21:13:02 -0400
Subject: Re: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll (was Re: AIs and such...)

>1) Do you REALLY care about the FT background? Are you really
interested in
>what happens to the ESU, NAC, etc. or is it just an excuse for a battle
and
>nothing more?

Yep.  I love the background.  It always gives you somewhere to start.
We
play mostly with the background, but with a few little changes here and
there to make things a little more personal.

>2) Did you read the FT background stuff or did you ignore it?

I've read it several times over and I loved it.

>3) Do you use another background for your games (like Star Trek, Star
Wars,
>B5, homegrown)?

Not yet.  But give us a little time....

>4) Would you like to see the FT background enhanced, with a more
detailed
>timeline, in future supplements? If so, how many pages out of a typical
>sized rulebook would you be willing to give up to the background?

I would love to see more on the "official" background as it is a really
good
universe.  I'm willing to give a little of the rules space over to the
"officia'" timeline.  I think anywhere up to 10 pages (not like the GW
thing
of 1/2 of the book).

>5) Would you like to see some FT fiction?

You bet.

>6) How "accurate" a background do you want? "I want a hard science
>background taking into effect things like AI development, genetic
>engineering, relativity, etc." or ""Star Wars was accurate enough for
me."

I want to see alot of it with a firm basis in science (which is why I
love
B5) but the occasional PSB and ridiculous tech factor I'm fine with.
After
all, who can say what will be tech in the next 500 years?

>7) Regardless of number 6, do you want to see guys in fighters, escorts
and
>fleet ships? "Don't bother too much about AI, it's men versus men or
men
>versus bugs that interest me."

I like the WWII feel to the universe like there is now.  Sure space
battles
of the future probably won't be like that, but then like it says in the
opening blurb for SGII, future battlefields will probably only have a
few
drones flying over the land shooting at each other.  Not very exciting.
Leave the AI stuff out.  It bores me.  I like the Human factor in my
games.

>8) "Stop with the stupid science posts, already! This is just a game!"

Sounds good to me.  And I am a scientist.

-Kelvin.....

	    "But, that is a lie."
	 "Yes.	What's your point?"
       -Bester and Sinclair, Babylon 5