Prev: Re: DS II Mini question Next: Re: AIs and such...

Re: FT: Missiles and Gas Tanks

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 16:22:54 -0400
Subject: Re: FT: Missiles and Gas Tanks

Gerald McVicker writes:

  Some stuff that's more or less correct.

Then he writes:

@:) Besides an air-to-air missile needs the fuel and the engine to
@:) maintain its velocity and its flight.  If you shot a missile out
@:) of say a " gravic propulsion launcher" or some other sci-fi
@:) equivalent..it would maintain its velocity.  All the engine would
@:) have to do is change its vector of movement.

  While we're being pedantic about definitions, velocity is defined
(in physics) as a vector that describes both speed and direction.
Changing either one requires energy.  In space, changing direction
requires a significant amount of energy because there's no atmosphere
to push on.  Of course Full Thrust's standard movement rules act as
though there is something to push on so perhaps you want to assume
your missiles can turn by simply moving their flaps around.

  I think the actual reason that FT missiles have fuel limits is that
it makes them easier to live with.  Good for FT.  Missiles that didn't
have to manouver to hit should probably cause significantly less
damage if you want to keep the overall "balance of power" between the
various game weapons and systems.

-joachim

Prev: Re: DS II Mini question Next: Re: AIs and such...