Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 15:45:11 -0400
Subject: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

In message <33C433D7.FB8@earthlink.net>
	  Peggy & Jeff Shoffner <pshoffner@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Third, okay, humans build an AI.  It gets lonely and builds another
AI, and
> another and another.	Computers think a LOT faster than we do.

Note _quite_ true. We've got about 100 billion neurons in our brains,
each doing calculations in parallel. There's also about 1000 connections
to each neuron, each in use simultaneously. That's a *lot* of MIPs...

It's how those MIPs are used though which is the important bit.

> By the time
> you read this sentence, our company of AIs have probably discussed the
theory
> of life in the universe, and have probably concluded that they should
be the
> caretakers of the frail humans.

The first half of this is exactly the reason I try to avoid AIs in
my own SF campaigns. Once you have a few, it can easily be only a
short step towards that Singularity.

>  My point being, AIs probably won't deal with
> humans on a day to day basis; we're too slow.  Why would they run our
ships
> when they can create their own society?

They run their own ships, then go along for the ride.

> Forth, why in the hell would an AI fight in a war?

Because they're not perfect? They make mistakes? They're not
entirely logical and emotionless? I see no reason why AIs shouldn't
have the same emotions we do.

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.

Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)