Prev: Re: I lost a... Next: Re: (no subject)

Reparing brain damaged AIs

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:42:12 -0400
Subject: Reparing brain damaged AIs

At 12:42 PM 7/16/97 +0100, you wrote:

>> Actually that's all dependant on the age and type of neuron involved.
>> Genetic Engineers here are working on self-replicating grey matter
and
>> have
>> had some interesting results.

	The only nervous system cells that seem to self repair are stem
cells from
zygotic tissues.  These have been used to treat spinal injuries, brain
damage to alzheimers patients, etc.  The ethical delemna of course
creates
questions that Larry Niven brought up in his story "Message from Earth"
and
his other works where different excuses were employed to use human
organs,
etc to keep the elite alive and well.

Prev: Re: I lost a... Next: Re: (no subject)