Prev: Re: DSII: Vehicle Generation Programs Next: Re: Painting & Gluing Platics?

Re: AIs and such...

From: Peggy & Jeff Shoffner <pshoffner@e...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 00:28:02 -0400
Subject: Re: AIs and such...

> Hmm, you HAVEN'T been paying attention to my posts. My original AI
post was
> an attempt to JUSTIFY something we've seen in FT games: high
casualties
> amongst fighters and escorts......

Can't remember the movie, but the appropriate quote was:  "In war,
people
die....."  But I do understand the concern about high casualties.  An
observation:  We're basically playing armchair quarterback; we put
chits/figs
out, fly them around, blow each other to kingdom come, and say, "Oh, I
could've done better than that...."  Whereas in actual military tactics,

especially in the "skirmishes" in FT's universe, a leader would actually

weigh the opposing forces against his own, determine if the loss of life
is
accceptible, and decide either fight or flight.  I would imagine most of
us
don't make a risk accessment based on human lives when playing FT.
Again,
this would be more along the lines of no alien contact.  Political
fighting
is different from survival fighting.

> >PS Since I am in a pissy mood, something I want to get off my
chest....

Wow, I should've said something earlier!  Got 14 pieces, chucked 1, put
two
in permanent hold, will reply to several.  I guess the squeaky wheel
does get
the grease!

Jeff Shoffner

Prev: Re: DSII: Vehicle Generation Programs Next: Re: Painting & Gluing Platics?