Prev: Re: Armor Next: Re: AI's in full thrust

Re: DSII: Vehicle Generation Programs

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 16:42:55 -0400
Subject: Re: DSII: Vehicle Generation Programs

Rick Rutherford wrote:
>>	Still for a $15.00 program I hope there is something else on the
disk
>> with it.  If this system had all of the factors built in (oversized
>> vehicles, etc)  I might be persuaded to buy it, but only if there are
>> other support programs on it.

>Yep -- a CD-ROM can hold 300 megabytes of stuff, and I certainly hope
that
>the DSII vehicle generator doesn't take up 300MB!

Actually, a standard data CD can hold about 650MB.

>The vehicle generator alone doesn't seem to be worth $15.00 to me.
>I'd hope that it would print out an index-card-size version of all the
>relevant vehicle statistics, including the vehicle's movement per turn
>given for all the different types of terrain.

>I'd also like to see a FT ship generator on the CD-ROM that you can use
>create ship designs and print out a ship diagram with all the correct
>symbols. Ideally, given a valid ship design, it should automatically
>create the diagram!
>
>I can dream, can't I?

I've already created the bulk of an application for Win32 environments
that
does this and more for FT.  I've had to put this off for a while since
I've
been busy.  I was hoping to release it as shareware given Jon T's
permission.  The only reason I do want not give it away for free is the
all
the time and tools that I have invested in creating it.  This would only
pay
for a small fraction of the investment.

If KR has such an app for DSII available, I would recommend to make a
shareware version as well.  I believe in the "try before you buy"
concept.
I'm surprised how many have said they would not pay $15 for it.  This is
not
unreasonable if the product does what it is intended to do and makes
you,
the user, happy.  I have supported shareware software for years.  I only
register the software if I actually intend to continue using it, i.e. I
like
it or use it a lot.

I would think if KR plans to use a CD for the transport medium, there
would
be suitable reason to do so.  A single software tool will not fill the
entire contents of a CD, unless very poorly coded. ;)  The only reason I
had
considered one myself was due the large nature of software to be
included.
It's not difficult to find ways to fill a CD if your creative and have
the
time. ;)

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Re: Armor Next: Re: AI's in full thrust